Using social media effectively to find a job
Social networks have become vital for job searches, as more and more employers are using this faster and cheaper method to find qualified applicants.
So, here’s how you can use the following social media platforms to find yourself the ideal job!
LinkedIn is without a doubt the best social networking tool for professionals. Creating a LinkedIn profile should be at the top of your list when beginning your job search, as your profile acts as an online CV, which can be found by potential employers.
- Ensure your profile is fully complete
- Upload a professional photograph
- Create a professional headline
- Join groups and take part in discussions to maintain a visible presence
- Get connected with other professionals in your industry
- Find networking events to attend
A study has found that Twitter has more job openings than any other social media platforms and even more job seekers than LinkedIn!
- Follow organisations you are interested in working for
- Follow existing members of staff at companies of interest
- Search hashtags related to jobs. The hashtag #jobsearch will produce numerous tweets related to actual jobs
- Create a professional twitter handle
- Share your online content
A recent survey found that 67% of job seekers using social media for job-hunting use Facebook, so it’s important to clean up your profile before beginning your job search, so try and cut back on the pictures from Saturday night!
- Like Facebook pages of companies you would like to work for
- Ensure your professional history is complete
- Share content which is relevant to the industry you work/want to work in
- Join relevant groups
- Avoid writing negative statuses
- Display your interests so recruiters can gauge what kind of person you are
Many employers are now using Instagram as a key marketing tool to announce job openings. So if you are still looking for your dream job, this is an excellent way to search for it.
- Stay active – regularly post relevant images
- Tag specific locations – if you are looking for a job locally, tag your image to a particular location
- Comment on images to show your interest in a company
- Use effective and relevant hashtags to get noticed
We hope these tips have been helpful and good luck with your job search!
Previous postNext post