Assurant® Careers Privacy Notice
Lifestyle Services Group Limited, with mailing address of PO Box 98, Blyth, NE24 9DL, United Kingdom, a member of the Assurant, Inc. group of companies (hereinafter, “We”, “Us”, “Our” or “Company) is the data controller of these Web Portals (https://apply.assurantcareers.co.uk/harbour/vacancies/ and www.assurantcareers.co.uk (the “Service”).
This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how We will process and protect personal information relating to an identified or identifiable individual (“Personal Information”) when you use the Service, which allows users to create a job applicant account, update their applicant account, apply for positions with the Company, and contact Recruitment support, and applies to your use of the Service. We use the Personal Information for purposes of recruiting you for employment with the Company. We are also obliged to process your Personal Information for legal and regulatory purposes (for example – conducting certain background checks). We also use your Personal Information to communicate with you about your application, schedule interviews and to track usage of the Service. Your Personal Information shall be held and used in accordance with applicable legislation relating to the protection of Personal Information (the “Applicable Law”). Your Personal Information will be shared with other Assurant affiliates and service providers, some of which are located outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and are not subject to an adequacy decision of the European Commission. This Notice sets out more details of this processing, including details of your data protection rights, such as your right to object to certain processing.
This Notice applies to your job application only. Any future interactions resulting from a job offer are supported through other services. To review the privacy practices of those other services, please refer to the policies provided in association with each.
1. Personal Information We Collect
We collect your Personal Information in the following situations:
1. When you register for Job Alerts
We collect Personal Information from you when you register for job alerts on the Service:
- e-mail address
2. When you Apply for a Job
We collect Personal Information from you when you apply for a job with us:
- Any information that you provide to us via your CV and cover letter (e.g. employment history and education history, languages and skills, and additional contact information such as e-mail address and mobile phone number
- Notice period
- Financial information relating to salary and taxation (for example – credit history, reward and overall current and required salary package)
- Current right to work in the UK and VISA details
- How you heard about the role
When providing this information, you represent that such information is accurate, complete, up to date and true, and is supplied for the for the sole purpose of seeking a job or employment vacancies or positions.
Please note that We may also collect Personal Information from third party sources, namely via background checks performed by third-party specialist providers (for example – current right to work in the UK, proof of current address, criminal history, current and previous employment, academic verification, international sanctions and credit history)
If you choose to provide us with Personal Information in the context of Diversity Monitoring (such as age, gender, ethnicity, or disability), this will be used only for reporting on the diversity of Our candidate base across the organization. Please keep in mind that We are an equal opportunities employer and do not in any way discriminate against any individual providing information for Our Equal Opportunities Categories.
3. When you communicate with Us
When you contact Our Recruitment support team (for example, when you ask a question about technical support), We will collect information that you provide to Us in your communications (such as the query or issue that you have raised).
4. When you access the Service
2. Purposes and Legal Basis for the Processing of your Personal Information
Previous legal basis for processing your Personal Information for employment may have included consent. Under the new Applicable Law effective from May 2018, the following legal basis replaces previous legal grounds for processing:
We conduct recruitment activities on the basis of entering into a contract and legal obligations, when We advertise a position and a job applicant sends Us their CV and application to be considered. Further, where during the recruitment process you indicate that you are interested in proceeding, Our legal basis for processing your Personal Information will change to preparing to enter into a contract with you, and a legal obligation to process certain data.
- We process your Personal Information for the following purposes: As required by Us to conduct Our business and pursue Our legitimate interests, in particular:
- We use your Personal Information to make informed decisions on recruitment and assess your suitability for the role;
- We use your Personal Information to contact you about future career opportunities with Us;
- We use your Personal Information when We contact you in relation to your job application.
- We use your Personal Information to provide the Service, and respond to any comments or complaints you may send Us;
- We monitor use of the Service, and use your Personal Information to help Us to track and analyse preferences and trends, evaluate possible new features, functionality and services, and improve Our Service and recruitment processes;
- We use Personal Information to help Us recognize you on the Service, improve your experience, increase security of Our networks and systems, and measure use and effectiveness of Our Service.
- We use Personal Information you provide to investigate complaints received from you or from others, about the Service. We also use this Personal Information to track potential issues (for example, issues with the performance of the Service) and trends to better serve you;
- We monitor accounts to prevent, investigate and/or report fraud, misrepresentation, or crime, in accordance with Applicable Law; and
- We use Personal Information in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes as necessary (including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation).
- Where you give Us consent:
- We retain your CV; and
- We place cookies and use similar technologies in accordance with Our Cookie Notice and the information provided to you when those technologies are used.
On other occasions where We ask you for consent, We will use the Personal Information for the purpose which We explain at that time.
- For purposes which are required by law:
- In response to requests by government or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation; and
- To fulfil Our legal obligations as an employer (such as performing immigration status and background checks, where required).
3. Relying on Our legitimate interests
We have carried out balancing tests for all the processing of Personal Information which We carry out on the basis of Our legitimate interests, which We have described above. You can obtain information on any of Our balancing tests by contacting Us using the details set out later in this notice.
4. Withdrawing consent
Wherever We rely on your consent, you will always be able to withdraw that consent, although We may have other legal grounds for processing your Personal Information for other purposes, such as those set out above. Where you have given Us your consent, you can withdraw it by using the mechanism described to you at the time that your consent was obtained, or by contacting Us.
5. Disclosure of the Personal Information
5.1 Disclosure to Our Affiliates
We share your Personal Information with affiliates, including members of the Assurant, Inc. group of companies, where necessary in relation to your job application (for example – scheduling interviews with a hiring manager or management team). A list of Our affiliates is available here If you agree for your CV to be retained for future opportunities, We may share your information within the Assurant group of companies if there is a relevant vacancy at that group company.
5.2 Disclosure to Our Service Providers and Recruitment Organisations
We employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate the Service (for example, customer support, application or database hosting, development). We disclose your information with third parties in the context of the recruitment process (for example – third parties conducting background checks, video interviewing, reference validation on Our behalf). These third parties have limited access to your Personal Information to perform these tasks on Our behalf and are obligated to Us. The personnel of such third parties who use your Personal Information is limited to those individuals which are authorized to do so on a need-to-know basis and as necessary to provide these business services to Us. We do not authorize such third parties to disclose or use this Personal Information for other purposes.
5.3 Disclosure to Public Authorities
We may disclose your Personal Information if required for the purposes above, if mandated by law or if required for the legal protection of Our legitimate interests in compliance with Applicable Law.
5.4 Other Categories of Recipients
We may also disclose your Personal Information, usage information, and other information about you to parties acquiring part or all of Our assets, as well as to attorneys and consultants. Also, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against Us, your Personal Information may be considered a company asset that may be sold or transferred to third parties.
6. Where your Personal Information is Processed
In providing the Service, Personal Information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries where data protection and privacy regulations do not offer the same level of protection as the EEA and other parts of the world.
Sharing Personal Information with Our affiliates involves transfers outside the EEA (for example – to a hiring manager or management team member located in the US). A list of Our affiliates is available here
Where Personal Information is transferred outside the EEA to a country that is not subject to an adequacy decision by the EU Commission, it is adequately protected by European Commission approved standard contractual clauses, an appropriate Privacy Shield certification or a vendor’s Processor Binding Corporate Rules. To obtain a copy of the relevant transfer mechanism or additional information on the transfers, please address these requests to Us
7. Your Choices and Rights
In some countries, you have the right to request access to, correction of, and deletion of your Personal Information, and to restrict the processing of your Personal Information, under Applicable Law. You also have the right to request a structured commonly-used and machine-readable copy of Personal Information that you have provided to Us for a contract or with your consent, and to ask Us to transmit (port) this Personal Information to another controller.
You may also object to Our processing of Personal Information in certain circumstances (in particular, where We don’t need to process the information to meet a contractual or other legal requirement, (see section 2).
You can exercise any of your rights, or to obtain other information, such as a copy of a legitimate interests balancing test, by contacting Us . In order to safeguard your Personal Information from unauthorized access, We may ask that you provide sufficient information to identify yourself prior to providing access to your Personal Information.
In certain situations, and subject to Applicable Law, We may not be able or obliged to comply with part or all of your individual requests. For example, We may not comply with an access request if doing so would reveal personal data about another person, or comply with a deletion request relating to information which We are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping. Please note that We have the right to refuse requests which are manifestly unfounded or excessive (for example, due to their repetitive character). Relevant exemptions are set out in the Applicable Law. We will inform you of relevant exemptions We rely upon when responding to any request you make.
If you have unresolved concerns, you have the right to complain to an EU data protection authority (‘supervisory authority’) where you live, work or where you believe a breach may have occurred.
To provide certain parts of the Service (for example – enabling you to apply for a job), the provision of Personal Information is mandatory; if relevant data is not provided, then We will not be able to process your job application or consider you for the role.
8. Communications from Us
We communicate with you through email and the Service. We will send you service-related communications (for example, “Your application is under review”).
9. Data Retention
We typically delete logs and other backup information through the deletion process within 12 months of your last activity, except as noted in Section 5. Where We process account registration data, We do this for as long as you are an active user of Our site and for 12 months after this. Unless you have agreed for Us to keep your CV longer (so that you may be considered for future vacancies), We will retain the records of a recruitment activity for 12 months from the time you submit an application. Personal Information of applicants who receive an offer of employment will be retained in accordance with applicable corporate retention policies (as described in the employee privacy notice provided upon start of employment).
10. Information Security
We have implemented safeguards designed to protect your Personal Information in accordance with industry standards.
We have measures in place to restrict access to Personal Information to those individuals whom We know have a valid business purpose to have access to such data. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards. We follow generally accepted standards designed to protect the Personal Information submitted to Us, both during transmission and once We receive it. We require those who provide services for Us and to whom We provide Personal Information collected through the Service to keep such information secure and confidential. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is totally secure. Therefore, We cannot guarantee its absolute security.
11. Important Information
11.1 Minimum age
We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from anyone under the age of 16. You must be at least 16 years of age to use the Service.
11.2 Changes to this Notice
We may update this Notice from time to time. If We make any material changes to Our Notice, We will notify you by email or by means of a notice through the Service, or by other means prior to the change becoming effective, so that you may review the changes before you continue to use the Service. Please review changes carefully.
11.3 Contact Us
We welcome your questions or comments regarding this Notice. Please write to Lifestyle Services Group Limited, Data Protection Officer, PO Box 98, Blyth, NE24 9DL, United Kingdom, or send Us an email email@example.com. You may also write to Us at Assurant Privacy Office, Post Office Box 979047, Miami, FL 33197-9047, USA.
Effective date: 25 May 2018
Improve User Experience
Some browsers offer a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) signal whereby you may indicate your preference regarding tracking and cross-site tracking. Although We do not currently employ technology that recognizes DNT signals, We will only process your Personal Information in accordance with this Notice.
Analyze Website’s Performance
We collect Personal Information, on an individual and collective basis, to track and analyse preferences and trends, improve the quality of the Service, evaluate possible new features, functionality and services, and improve Our Service. We collect information when you use Our website, and may use third party analytics tools to evaluate user traffic. For example, We collect information when you view a page or click on a link. Additionally, We collect log in information about devices used to access Our Service, including IP addresses.
What types of cookies are used on this website?
We use first party cookies on this Website. The cookies used on our website can be categorized in the following ways:
- Essential cookies: These cookies are essential in order to enable users to navigate the web site and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. Without these cookies, services that you have requested, such as shopping baskets or e-billing, cannot be provided. These cookies don’t gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remember where you’ve been on the Internet.
- Performance cookies: These cookies collect information about how users use a website, for instance which pages users go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies a user. The information these cookies collect is anonymous and only used to improve how a website works.
- Functional cookies: These cookies allow a website to remember preferences (such as language or region) and offer improved and customized functions. The information that these cookies collect can be anonymous and they may not record your browsing activity on other websites.
- Social Media Cookies These cookies allow you to share what you’ve been doing on the website on social media such as Facebook and Twitter. These cookies are not within our control. Please refer to the respective privacy policies for how their cookies work.
Some of Our Web pages may contain electronic images known as Web beacons (sometimes known as clear gifs) that allow Us to count users who have visited these pages. Web beacons collect only limited information which including a cookie number, time and date of a page view, and a description of the page on which the Web beacon resides. We may also carry web beacons placed by third party advertisers. These beacons do not carry any personally identifiable information and are only used to track the effectiveness of a particular campaign.
By using our website, you agree that We can place these types of cookies on your device as set forth in this Cookie Notice. The table below explains the types of cookies we use and why.
|Cookie Type||Cookie Name||Cookie Purpose||Choice|
|Essential||HBR_SITE_SESSID||This cookie is essential in order to enable users to navigate the web site and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website and keeping users logged in. Without this cookie, services that you have requested, such as baskets, cannot be provided. This cookie does not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remember where you’ve been on the Internet. This cookie is deleted when you close your browser.||To opt out, see “How do I change my cookie settings” below.|
|Performance||media_source_incoming||This cookie collects information about how users arrived at the website, for example what website a user visited immediately prior to this website. This cookie does not collect information that identifies a specific user. The information these cookies collect is anonymous and only used to assess the effectiveness of recruitment efforts.||To opt out, see “How do I change my cookie settings” below.|
|These cookies collect information about how users use a website, for instance which pages users go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies a user. The information these cookies collect is anonymous and only used to improve how a website works.||To opt out, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout|
How do I change my cookie settings?
If you prefer not to accept cookies into your browser, the help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. However, disabling cookies may result in certain parts of the website and resources not operating correctly or prevent you from taking full advantage of some of the features of the Service. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
The following links show how to disable cookies in different browsers:
- Setting cookie preferences in Internet Explorer
- Setting cookie preferences in Firefox
- Setting cookie preferences in Chrome
- Setting cookie preferences in Safari web and iOS
Effective date: 25 May 2018